Frequently Asked Questions
Plain concrete, although strong in compression, is very weak in tension and therefore does not prove to be a very good structural member by itself. However, it can be made extremely useful by reinforcing it with a material like steel(TMX bar), which has the desired strength in tension, ductility and bond characteristics.
The steel reinforcement imparts ductility to concrete, which is inherently a very brittle material. To put it into practical perspective, an optimally reinforced concrete member were to fail in tension, the ductility of the bars would ensure that such a failure is preceded by a visibly large deformation, giving the occupants plenty of time and warning ahead of the impending collapse.
You build a home only once in a lifetime, investing years of savings. But, while building it, you not only want it to be beautiful, but strong and pure too. A strong and pure home needs an equally strong & pure foundation, reliable spine and an intact framework. All of it can only be imparted by a quality TMX while your home is in a construction phase and NOT later.
A quality TMX bar imparts necessary strength(strong & pure foundation), ductility/bendability(reliable spine) and enhanced bonding with cement(intact framework) to your home. A quality TMX bar is basic necessity & need for any Home.
Yes, it does.
To understand how, let us understand how a ductile material is different from a brittle one. Take 2 TMX bars of equal length & same cross-section area. Bar 1 – made of ductile material. Bar 2 – made of brittle material. Now, pull(ref. fig below) the two bars by applying a force(tensile) at the ends. Bar 1(ductile) elongates by a larger amount before it fractures, while Bar 2(brittle) breaks suddenly on fractional elongation.
During an earthquake, a very high amount of energy is imparted on a structure. A structure made of a ductile material would absorb a much higher proportion of energy/impulsive stress, before fracturing, compared to a brittle one. Another important fact to note is, amongst the 3 most important materials i.e steel, brick and concrete, used in constructing a house, only steel can provide ductility to the structure.
The following are important and critical parameters which can be used to judge the quality of a TMX bar:
- Raw material used for producing TMX bar
- Route followed in the manufacturing process
- Consistent quality along the length of TMX bar
- Bonding with cement(Rib pattern)
- Lower impurities like Sulphur, phosphorus
- Necessary ductility
- Ease of application i.e bendability
- Transparent pricing
Steemax (Fe500D/550D) TMX bars are the best quality TMX bars available in India. Manufactured from virgin iron ore in state-of-the-art technology, every single running foot of Steelmax TMX bars is free from impurities and has the following benefits:
- Highest level of purity, which ensures superior strength, enhanced ductility & easy weldability
- Consistent Quality & double layer protection with HYQST technology ensuring a softer inner core & hard outer crust
- Best Bonding with cement with well-defined Ribs that exceed the standard AR value specifications
- Transperent Pricing & free home delivery*
Also, Steelmax conforms to Indian, American, British and Australian Standards. It also meets specific customer requirements with a supply of customized products(Steelmax TMX 500D/550D) and ensures the availability of expert services in product application and end use.
*Delivery within municipal limits only
Higher levels of S and P i.e impurities introduces brittleness in a TMX bar which in turn also impacts the fatigue resistance of a TMX bar. Also high S content enhances corrosion of TMX bar which is detrimental to quality.
Steelmax Steel produces 3 different grades of TMX bars : Fe500D, Fe550D, Corrosion Resistant (CRS)
Manufacturing of Steelmax pure TMX bars involves 3 main stages:
- Conversion of virgin iron ore(raw material) to molten iron
- Conversion of molten iron to steel and continous casting to form billets
- Hot rolling and thermo-mechanical treatment of billets to form ready-to-useJSW Neosteel Pure TMX bars
- Uses virgin iron ore as raw materials from iron ore mines
- Uses state-of-the art technology & automated production process
- Deploys enhanced quality control & refining process leading to lesser impurities like Sulphur & Phosphorus
- provides an optimal combination of strength & ductility via a double layer protection i.e a hard outer crust and a soft inner core
A quality TMX bar should reflect attributes like consistent quality across the length of bar, superior bonding with cement, lesser impurities and an optimal combination of ductility and strength. All of the above can only be reflected when a superior quality control and refining process is imparted during prodcution. Refer to the above question, Steelmax justifies the required attributes.
Moreover, Steelmax TMX is a great value for money. Also, when we look into the overall cost of construction of a house, a TMX bar contributes to less than 5% of the total cost. Further, the additional cost incurred to buy a supposedly ‘costlier’ Steelmax is not even 1% of the overall cost. Hence, investing in a quality TMX bar is highly recommended as it is a basic need of a home.
Moreover, while using a Steelmax TMX bar, you will not incur additional cost due to wastage of TMX bars getting fractured while bending and fabricating.
Being proactive rather than reactive is a sensible way of living. Consequesntly, a person(say, Neo Singh) with a life insurance would have ensured a highly secured life for himself/herself and his/her family and would reap benefits in case of an accident. Offcourse, till the time of accident, both Neo Singh(who is paying a premium for insurance) and Non-Neo Singh(who isn’t paying a premium) would look alike in terms of benefits availed in day to day life.
Similarly, it is very important to invest in a quality TMX bar with good ductility so that structure suffers minimum damage in an event like earthquake. Earthquakes are unpredictable and till the time they don’t occur, your neighbour’s house might also remain safe. But when they do strike, a house built with a TMX bar of good ductility and having consistent properties will have lesser probability of collapsing.
Carbon is generally considered as the most important alloying element is steel and can be present upto 2%. Increased carbon content leads to increased hardening and tensile strength, as well as response to heat treatment, resistance to wear and abrasion etc. However, if present in higher quantities it affects the ductility, toughness and machinability of steel.
Rusting(a certain degree of reddishness) is a natural process and it happens to any TMX bar made of pure/virgin iron ore when exposed to moisture in atmosphere. It can easily be removed by rubbing the surface with a sand paper. However, a prolonged exposure to moisture leads to corrosion which is detrimental and cannot be reversed. It wears off the ribs of a rebar by an uneven surface erosion.
Therefore, a rusted Steelmax can always be used till the reddishness is removable by rubbing the surface. Rusting, in fact, is a) an indication that TMX bar is made of virgin iron ore b) beneficial as it develops fine pits on the surface ensuring even better bonding with cement.
Therefore, to prevent TMX bars from getting corroded, please follow the below steps:
1. TMX bars should be coated with a cement wash(cement to water slurry in a 1:3 ration) before stacking. It prevents direct contact of rebar with atmosphere. The cement layer is not a wastage as it goes inside the concrete with the TMX bar
2. While stacking, the TMX bar should be at least 150 mm above the ground level with a due provision to cover
3. Avoid the TMX bar to come in contact with bricks, soil, wood and other porous non-alkaline materials
4. Use high quality and impermeable concrete.
Steelmax has developed a TMX calculator to help you estimate the quantity and cost of TMX bars, against each section(dia), required to build your dream home. It indicates an estimate basis the base area square feet, no. of storeys, type of building use and seismic zone in which the house is constructed.
Please be informed that Steelmax TMX bars are sold in pieces and not by weight. All bars adhere to latest BIS(Bureau of Indian Standards) norms which specify the nominal weight of a rebar per metre and weight tolerance. Please refer to the below details section wise:
|Section(Dia In Mm)||Weight/Metre Range (In Grams) As Per BIS Standards||Weight Of Steelmax TMX( In Grams)|
|8||367 – 423||395|
|10||586 – 648||616|
|12||844 – 932||888|
|16||1501 – 1659||1580|
|20||2396 – 2544||2470|
Steelmax TMX produces TMX bars under brand Steelmax TMX. To check originality, look for the following:
- Steelmax TMX embossing should be there on every metre of TMX bar
- Steelmax TMX comes with proper test certification and brochure stating Cleary the physical and chemical properties of the product
- An original invoice will always be issued on purchase of Steelmax TMX bars
- Yield strength of the TMX bar (ex. Fe 500,550) and type (ex. D, CRS etc.) are embossed on the product